Even before we know it, vertical jump training was part of our lives many years ago. When I was growing up in the 90’s basketball was the most famous sport in the world. Everybody was playing. If you didn’t know how to play basketball you were considered a sissy girl. And this doesn’t go just for the 90’s, but 70’s, 80’s, etc. I remember my father telling me stories about how he was the best basketball player among his friends and I just wanted to be the same.
Even before I knew it, I have created a vertical jump training program for myself so I could increase my vertical jump and be the first to dunk. I don’t know how but I was lucky to have good genes and dunk for the first time when I was 17.
Few years after my first dunk I was bit by the old fitness bug and my basketball playing days were just a hobby now. Embarking my fitness journey with ability to leap high helped me become better athlete. Many people in the gym were jealous of me because of my leg strength.
Now you may ask: “Why is vertical jump important in fitness?” If you want to know that just continue reading.
What is vertical jump training and definition
According to our beloved Wikipedia.com vertical jump is: A vertical jump or vertical leap is the act of raising one’s center of gravity higher in the vertical plane solely with the use of one’s own muscles; it is a measure of how high an individual or athlete can elevate off the ground (jump) from a standstill.
A vertical jump training is a training used to improve one’s ability to leap higher vertically.
The vertical jump is divided into two different types:
• Standing Vertical Jump: This refers to a vertical jump done from a standstill with no steps being involved at all.
• Running vertical jump: This refers to a vertical jump after an approach or run to help add energy to the jump in an effort to improve on the standing vertical jump.
In general, the standing vertical jump is the one that is used as an official measurement for athletes (in fitness and in sports in general).
Why is important to improve your vertical jump?
Vertical jump usually appears in basketball, volleyball, American football, etc. But this discipline is included in many other sports and disciplines like bodybuilding, fitness, gymnastics, calisthenics, etc.
Even if you are not a basketball player it does not hurt to have solid vertical jump. Many coaches in many sports today use vertical jump test as a way to see how agile the athletes are. The higher the jump is the better the athlete is.
A solid vertical jump shows that your explosiveness is at a high level. Also, many believe that vertical jump can be used to assess your state of recovery prior to a weight-training. As you overtrain your nervous system your body is drained, but you might not notice that. After the training session is over try and perform a vertical jump test and you will see the difference. Also, do a test right before the training. You can see that the vertical leap is drastically changed.
What are the fundamentals of vertical jump training?
Just like everything else you have to master the fundamentals in order to have higher vertical jump.
The fundamentals of vertical jump are:
1. Movement efficiency
2. Body composition
Movement efficiency is just another way of saying that the athlete is well coordinated. Efficient athletes have developed the ability to fire their muscles in the right sequence and with appropriate levels of force. Good movement efficiency is demonstrated pretty obviously by a smooth jumping motion.
In short, good vertical jump movement efficiency allows an athlete to generate the most amount of power with the least amount of effort.
This part is very important and the easiest one to explain to people. Basically the leaner you are (low in body fat) and the less unnecessary muscle mass you have, the higher you should be able to jump.
If you ever watch Olympics you can see that all the professional jumpers are skinny and lean. This does not have to be a law but it definitely helps if you want to jump higher. This means that fitness athletes will have a better chance to leap higher than bodybuilding athletes. That is because bodybuilders have more excessive muscles than fitness models. But again, that does not have to be a law. I know many bodybuilders who can leap high with a proper vertical jump training.
On the other side if you are a basketball player, it is better for you to lose the excessive weight and become leaner.
Strength in terms of jumping is essentially how much force you can apply to the ground. If you can apply more force to the ground in the same (or less) amount of time, then all other things being equal, you will be able to jump higher.
When it comes to vertical jump, leg strength is the most important asset you should have. Many athletes that are into the Olympics, basketball, volleyball, fitness, etc. can squat 2.5x their weight. That means that the more you can back squat the more force you can apply to the ground.
Simply put you should be looking to get as strong per pound of body weight as you can. But there is catch. A common mistake for jumping athletes is to get too carried away with a lot of strength training and to lose sight of the ultimate goal of jumping high. Great strength is an advantage, but it can come at a price – speed. That is why a proper body-weight vertical jump training program is also a huge pro.
Speed is also very important aspect of vertical jump training. However, if you want to develop a standing vertical jump, speed is not important. But, if you want to improve your running vertical jump, speed is very important. Do not get me wrong, it is still a positive thing to increase the speed even if you are not interested into running vertical jump.
As mentioned earlier, by squatting with more weight on you can lose your speed. Because of that it is better to work on both at the same time. That way the muscles will get used to both types of training at the same time and build the proper strength.
How to perform a vertical jump test?
- Take a piece of tape or chalk and, standing next to a wall reach your arm up as high as possible while standing flat-footed and either place the tape on the wall at your highest point or make a mark with the chalk.
- Next, stand next to the wall and jump up as high as possible and place the tape or make a mark on the wall at your highest point. Repeat 3 more times.
- Take a measuring tape and measure the difference between the low mark and the high mark. This is your vertical jump.
Here is the video example I’ve found on youtube:
Vertical jump training phases
If you want your vertical jump training to be outrageous, you should follow the next phases:
- Phase one– General warm up- if you want the training to be effective and injury-free, try to warm the body up.
- Phase two– Stretching- this is a part of the warming up. You should create joint mobility before even thinking of vertical jump training.
- Phase three– Action- this is the part where you work on the muscles and strength, as well as speed.
- Phase four– Resting period- the most important part is resting period. If you want to gain strength try to include a quality rest to your training program.
If you want to increase your vertical leap remember everything that is written above.
While I had the luck to have great genes and leap high, most of my friends and clients were not that lucky. That is why I decided to look for a vertical jump program that will fit into their fitness regimens and daily habits. That is when I’ve found Vert Shock- vertical jump training program.
What is Vert Shock?
Vert Shock is a vertical jump training program created by two professional athletes in basketball. This program is created in such a way to give you maximum results on your vertical leap in weeks.
Unlike the other so-called ‘professional’ vertical jump training programs, Vert Shock has a different approach to the old vertical leap training. In other words, other programs will make you jump up and down like 2000 times throughout a workout, with no specific improvements at your vertical leap, but not Vert Shock.
This program is based on laser-targeting the Type II B fibers. These little guys are the key point to creating a successful vertical jump.
So instead of basing on overtraining (like most programs do), Vert Shock uses breakthrough exercises to laser-target these ‘super fibers’ and add inches to the vertical jump.
They call it Vert Shock because it’s literally going to ‘shock’ your body into becoming a jumping machine!
The system is based on bodyweight and plyometric exercises that are scientifically proven to train one’s muscles and nervous system into jumping higher.
Creators of Vert Shock
As mentioned above, this program is created by two professional basketball athletes- Adam Folker and Justin ‘Jus Fly’ Darlington.
Adam Folker is a professional basketball player from the United States. As a teenager he was a kid with bad vertical leap genetics (unlike me) who was struggling to make his way through basketball. With the dream to become a professional player and so much good will, Adam revealed the secrets of vertical jump training, which allowed him to increase his vertical leap and become one of the best players in high school. Right after that he got recognized by scouts and teams all over the world. In other words, these vert shock secretes helped Adam become an A-class material.
The same goes for Justin ‘Jus Fly’ Darlington. He is a professional basketball dunker and vertical jump ‘freak’. Justin ‘Jus Fly’ Darlington has also benefited from these ‘Vert Shock’ secrets. He’s been named the #1 dunker in the entire world multiple times, he even came close to making the Olympics for high jump. Not only has he been named the #1 dunker in the world multiple times, he’s also trained NBA players to dunk. I think that makes him super qualified for giving advice on vertical jump.
Vert Shock’s Construction
Vert Shock is split into three different phases that will give you improvement:
Phase 1: Pre-shock phase– In the first 7 days of the Vert Shock program your vertical jump will increase up to 3 – 5 inches. This is called the ‘Pre-Shock’ phase and is designed to get your body ready for what’s to come.
Phase 2: Shock phase– Then you enter the ‘Shock’ phase which is 6 weeks long. This is the main part of the program and is where your nervous system is ‘shocked’ into leaping higher than all your friends thought possible.
Phase 3: Post-shock phase– And the final phase of the program is the ‘Post-Shock’ phase. This is a full week where everything your body ‘learned’ in the previous phases becomes cemented in your muscle memory.
So after 8 weeks of training and following this program, it is expected that your vertical leap will increase 9-15 inches. Of course this is not a law, some may get better and some not. But those are the estimated general expectations of the end result.
What to Expect After 8 Weeks of Vert Shock
I know that dunking isn’t everything, but it sure can be a powerful tool if you are a basketball player.
As mentioned earlier in the post, this program is not just for basketball players, although it is created by two basketball athletes.
Vert Shock is going to:
- Give you explosive power ‘on tap’
- Increase your lateral speed exponentially
- Slash your reaction by half
- More domination on the court (whether it is basketball, volleyball, NFL, etc.)
- Get you noticed by scouts
- More respect at the gym
- Have that cute girl watch you at the next game/ at the gym
- Give you powerful psychological advantage over your opponents and gym partners
- People at the gym will call you for advice
- And the ultimate thing in sports… eventually get a scholarship or contract deal.
Here is what you get in the program
- Quick start guide– this is the place where you learn the facts a little bit faster
- Pre-shock phase workout plan– this is the place where you get your body moving and grooving
- Shock phase workout plan– this is the real deal. Exercises for increasing your vertical jump inch by inch
- Post-shock phase workout plan– this is the phase where your muscles grow and get stronger and better.
- Step-by-step exercise video guides– this is the place where everything is explained, all the exercises, step-by-step.
- Vert tracker– this is where you can track your progress and motivate yourself day-by-day
- Forum access
But that is not all, here is what you get as a bonus right now, no charge:
- 4 Vertical Jump Killers– No matter how well or hard you train, there are 4 ‘Jump Killers’ which will sabotage your success and prevent you from ever jumping any higher. Chances are, you’re doing at least 1of these right now.
- 5 Dirty Secrets to Jumping Higher– Not everything is about training, technique and targeting the right fibers. Sometimes a few quick and dirty ‘hacks’ are just what you need. Inside this bonus they spill the beans on 5 of Justin’s dirty secretsto getting up there by any means necessary.
- Weekly Check–Ins– The best program in the world is worth squatif you don’t follow it. So, to prevent you having to rely on your willpower too much, they’ve included a simple weekly email check-in system that increases your consistency and thus results through solid behavioural psychology.
- Jumper’s Diet Checklist– Believe it or not there are foods that can sabotage your jumping skills. In this Checklist you get all the foods that will help you improve your results and become better at vertical jump training.
To sum up what you get:
- More than 35+ videos
- Detailed step-by-step video library
- Exclusive giveaways
- Day by day printable schedules
- Bonus checklist
- Secret bonus content
What is great about this program is that is created for advanced athletes as well as beginners in every sport.
The main pros are:
- Step-by-step guidance
- Video tutorials of every exercise
- Affordable for all kinds of sports (basketball, fitness, volleyball, NFL, Crossfit, Calisthenics)
- Backed with years of scientific research
- Created by two real professionals
- Keeps you safe from injuries and overtraining (which is not the case with most of the vertical jump training program out there)
- Saves time (with all the stupid things out there on the internet)
- 24/7 support system from Adam and Justin
- Commitment to your success by the authors
- 60 days money back guarantee (yep, believe it)
There are not so much cons associated with this program. However, like in everything, there has to be a down side.
The biggest con is that it actually takes time and sweat to see some results. To be honest, there is no fitness routine or any kind of routine really that works like a magic. You have to work, day in and day out. There are no shortcuts to success. If you are not ready to work your butt off for 8 weeks, skip this program, it is not for you.
Of course, not every one of you will get the same results.
Why to buy this program?
You may think that this program is all about basketball, but that is not the case. Even though it is mainly created to increase the vertical jump for basketball athletes, it can be used in fitness/bodybuilding and calisthenics too.
If you look for some of the fitness athletes on social media you will see that they are flexible, fast, they can jump high, they are explosive, etc. Even Arnold was working on every physical aspect aside from his muscle mass.
Even if the main goal is not to get your first dunk, with this vertical jump training program you can improve the vertical leap for better physical fitness. You will get speed, explosiveness, good cardio workout (which is always an asset), better leg strength, balance, and of course higher jump.
Take a look at these guys. Isn’t that awesome?
Testimonials and Success Stories
Here are some success stories from people who finished Vert Shock:
If you want to see more video testimonials please click here.
Note: If you think any of the testimonials are fake and made up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to clear that right up!
This is especially why I love this program. Kids are our future and instead of offering them drugs, guns, alcohol and what not, we should introduce them to healthy living and health habits.
Creators of Vert Shock created this vertical jump training program in such a way that is affordable for kids too.
If you are a parent of an ambitious kid who wants basketball, volleyball, NFL more than everything, you should definitely consider Vert Shock.
This program will help kids to:
- Become more confident
- Have fun doing sports
- Develop a good work ethic
Let your kids experience something new and interesting. Introduce them to the life of health, exercising and healthy eating.
Here is what will they get:
- Diet – ensuring they eat well and stay ultra healthy
- Challenging, effective workouts – teaches them hard work and persistence
- Progress Tracking – tracks their jump height regularly which teaches them consistency and patience
- Step by step videos – teaches them to take instruction and follow through
- Online forum – this provides constant support if they have questions, positive role models and full access to me for help and guidance at any time
- Weekly check-ins – this promotes accountability, helping them develop a good work ethic and consistency
For the last time, you don’t have to be basketball lover to use this program. You should simply have the desire to increase your vertical leap and that is all.
I strongly recommend this program to every athlete out there, because you will get more than just a vertical jump training program. It covers all the aspects, phases and fundamentals of a perfect vertical jump training program.
Whether you’re old, young, or somewhere in-between, whether you’re a pro or just a person who likes to shoot hoops in his driveway, this system is the key to jumping higher and jumping better.
Do not hesitate, give it a go today! Even if you are not satisfied you can always get all the money back within 60 days.
In this section I will cover the most frequently asked questions by clients, friends and people in general.
- Can I use this program if I’m a fitness fanatic?
Definitely. This is a program that every fitness athlete should try. It will give you more than just increased vertical leap
- Are these testimonials real?
Yes they are. If you do not believe just drop an email at email@example.com and you will see.
- Are there any other hidden costs?
Absolutely not. This product is a one-time payment only and you will not be charged any recurring fees or hidden costs at all.
- Is this program beneficial for martial arts?
This is often asked question and the answer is yes, definitely. I used to do kick-boxing, boxing and BJJ and I can tell you that having stronger legs and bigger vertical leap helped me a lot, especially in kick-boxing.
- Is the training safe?
Absolutely. Unlike other jump training programs, which use overtraining and heavy weight lifting which can cause serious injuries like patellar tendonitis, they use safe plyometrics and bodyweight exercises which are just as effective and have almost zero chance of injury.
- Is it hard to do?
Nothing comes easy, so if you want to have the best results you should work hard. Vert Shock is not something to be taken lightly.
- Is it safe for kids to do?
It is totally safe. If you do not believe drop an email to Adam (firstname.lastname@example.org) and you will see that those testimonials are real.