Many people today are trying to find decent calisthenics workout plan to fit into their every-day activities. At-home training programs are very popular these days. But how to choose a quality workout program that is suitable for you, that does not require special equipment?
Finding a decent workout plan is job number one if you try to become a calisthenics athlete, or even want to make minor changes to your physique through body weight training. That is why I will share my personal opinion and a few helpful tips as well. Also, I will include my favorite 12 weeks calisthenics workout plan.
Why Calisthenics workout plan and who started this movement?
The word calisthenics comes from an ancient Greek words kalos (which means “beauty”) and sthenos (which means “strength”).
According to Wikipedia. Com- Calisthenics are exercises consisting of a variety of gross motor movements; often rhythmical and generally without equipment or apparatus. They are, in essence, body-weight training. They are intended to increase body strength, body fitness, and flexibility, through movements such as pulling or pushing oneself up, bending, jumping, or swinging, using only one’s body weight for resistance; usually conducted in concert with stretches. When performed vigorously and with variety, calisthenics can provide the benefits of muscular and aerobic conditioning, in addition to improving psychomotor skills such as balance, agility and coordination.
Founder of the calisthenics movement is Sven Kohl- originally from Germany. He is among few of the best calisthenics athletes in the world. He started calisthenics in 2012, dragging motivation from athletes like Hannibal for King and many gymnasts throughout the world.
Calisthenics workout plan fundamentals
If you want to become successful in calisthenics, as well as in everything in life, there are several fundamentals to be taken care of in the first place. Here is what every beginner needs to know:
- Time is your friend– Everything takes time. We tend to start something and expect results right away. Take your time, work your butt off and don’t worry.
- Strength– You have to be able to do at least 5 push-ups, 5 pull-ups, 5 dips and 10 squats in order to start with any calisthenics program..
- Master the basics– This third step is similar with the second. Mastering the basic exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, dips, squats) will benefit you most.
- Quality over quantity– This is the most important step to remember. It doesn’t matter how many reps you do, but it matters how you do them. Full range of motion, controlled reps with proper form.
Why is important to find a decent calisthenics workout plan?
If you want the best results you have to choose the best calisthenics workout. Finding a decent program is important for your final result. Many programs out there are optimized for beginners, where there is no variety, nor something interesting. Physical results begin inside your head first. At first it may look promising, but If the program you found is not interesting, you are doomed to fail.
Here is what to look for in a calisthenics program:
- Reasonable price– Many athletes out there are overrated and that is why they put high prices on their workout programs. I’ve literally seen dozens of programs with poor quality and no variety that cost like $120. When you look for a program, try to find something with a decent price.
- Quality– If there is no detailed review explaining what you get in the program, skip that right away. Information is the best tool at your disposal. If you don’t know what you buy or get, you will waste all of the money you have.
- Variety– Variety is the spice of EVERYTHING. If there is no variety there are no results. In an interview Arnold was asked how often does he change his workout plan. He said that variety is the king and he changes exercises every week, hitting the muscles from a different angle and shocking his body.
- Beginner friendly– Although I’m not a big fan of ‘all-for-beginner’ workout programs, I still think it is important to have beginner friendly optimization included.
Frequent beginner mistakes
We have all been beginners once in our life. That is the time where you should make mistakes, try new things, work like crazy and visualize great results. But what if I can give you my opinion on what the most frequent beginner mistakes are so you can avoid some of them and advance faster? It’s great, right?
One of the most popular beginner mistakes is that they accept everything that is thrown their way for free! This one annoys me the most. I was exactly the same when I first started working out. I was used to accept every workout that was on the internet and failure was inevitable. But, I did that because I had no experience whatsoever. The smart thing here to do is, go over to “Here is what to look for in a calisthenics program” and learn those 4 principles. That way you will be able to recognize what quality is and what ‘random blog post’ is. I mentioned earlier, more information will benefit your choices. Don’t get me wrong, there are good calisthenics programs for free, but they are rare breed.
The second most popular beginner mistake is that they prefer quantity over quality. As mentioned in the fundamentals, quality is one of the most important things in calisthenics. We use our body weight as a tool to build muscle, lose weight, etc. in calisthenics. So there is no room for crappy form and cheating. If you want to squeeze the best results out of the program, beat up your ego try to do everything with a good sense of quality.
And the third and most annoying mistake is that they do not appreciate what they have. I remember when I started working out, I had a chance to get a fully customized calisthenics workout plan from a great athlete who lives next door. He is not famous worldwide, but is well established in our country. Instead of working out with good form and controlled reps, I was focusing on quantity instead. What I end up was no results whatsoever and was disappointed. After that I threw the piece of paper in the garbage. That was the biggest mistake I’ve ever done. The program was magnificent. He used to sell it for $55, and I had the chance to have it for just $10. When he showed me the results of other people I was even more disappointed, but now at myself. Hundreds of people achieved great results but me. He explained to me that I have to do a fine research and appreciate what I have, because without a proper research and flying ego I had no right to judge. He thought that I was familiar with the fundamental already. That is why I encourage you to do a research and work properly, because that way you can appreciate what you have.
Master the basics
- Push ups– Many people think that they know how to do a push up with proper form, but they often make a mistake. Since I like the work Strength Camp does, I will use their video tutorials on how to perform perfect push up.
- Pull ups– Same goes for pull ups. Although they look easier to do, pull ups are harder than push ups and also require proper form and more strength
- Dips– This one is my favorite chest/shoulder/triceps exercises. Yep, you heard correctly, it hits three muscle groups. Some people find it hard to do at the beginning (I did). This is the exercise that 80% of the people perform with bad form. Here is a video tutorial
- Squats– I think that every one of us knows how to perform a solid squat. In case you don’t, spread your legs shoulder wide, straight back line, push the butt to the ground and go as low as possible.
A friendly note: Before you start any calisthenics program try to do at least 5 of each. I know that I’ve already said it, but trust me.
Those are pretty much all the basics you should know about calisthenics. We’ve learned what is calisthenics and who started the calisthenics movement, what are the fundamentals, how to choose a decent calisthenics workout plan and why it is important, beginner mistakes and how to master the fundamentals.
I’ve seen many calisthenics workout programs in my life and I can say that 80% of them are not well optimized. Truth be told, they might have a few good points, but that is not enough. When it comes to muscle building and physical fitness, good is not enough. We have to search for great!
There is absolutely no ‘perfect’ workout program out there, but there are certainly programs that are close to perfect.
With many years of experience I can proudly say that I’ve found one, and it’s the best one yet. A 12 week calisthenics workout program created by Bar Brothers- Bar Brothers The System.
What is THE SYSTEM?
Bar Brothers The System is fully customized and well optimized guide for people who are trying to make a physical and mental change. It is a 12 week step-by-step calisthenics workout plan that will help you build muscle mass, lose weight or both, gain strength and change your mental behavior. This is the official Bar Brothers workout program full of various and interesting exercises.
If you want to step into the world of calisthenics and make a change, this is the right program for you.
Lazar and Dusan
Lazar and Dusan are one of the greatest calisthenics athletes in the world, originally from Serbia. They started the Bar Brothers movement that quickly became popular worldwide. Throughout the years, Lazar and Dusan have motivated thousands of people achieve their dreams and become the best version of themselves. They are both serious athletes who overcame their comfort zone and had astonishing transformations.
They were constantly asked about their training and physical approach, as well as their nutrition, so they decided to create Bar Brothers The System- the best calisthenics workout program ever. And the rest is history…
What after you purchase Bar Brothers The System?
The System workout is a bit different than all the other calisthenics programs out there. You won’t end up with crappy looking excel work sheet that many people call ‘workout program’. Bar Brothers The System is an online platform loaded with video tutorials and instructions, as well as motivation.
Right after you purchase the program, you will receive an email from the official seller platform. It is an informative email about what you’ve purchased. Right after that there is a second email with your unique password and link to the online platform. When you click the link you will be required to enter the email and password provided. Next station- list of training programs (image below).
Next step is to click ‘Access now’ to The System. After that you will be redirected to the system workout program, which is divided into 18 videos:
- Introduction– You will see a welcome video created by Lazar and Dusan. It’s show time (remember that movie with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro?)
- What you need– Everything that you need is explained here. I already told you what you need to start, but let’s hear it again from Lazar and Dusan. The system requires no equipment, except pull up bar and dips bar, as well as your body weight (you can always make an alternative out of the dips and pull up bar, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy).
- Explanation– Here is a video where Lazar and Dusan explain the program. Also, you can download the work sheet if you want.
- Workout advice– This is what we always need. I love that they included this part.
- Bar Brothers The System Nutrition– It’s no secret that we need a solid nutrition to squeeze the maximum results of any program in general. You will be offered with various nutrition tips from Lazar and Dusan, and how to adjust nutrition habits with training routine.
- 12 week workout program– There are 12 weeks full of videos with exercises and motivational tips. You will learn how to do the proper form of every workout, every day.
- Bar Brothers The System Conclusion– Until we meet again.
This program is both for beginners and advanced calisthenics athletes. You will see through the videos an explanation of every workout. There are many alternative to do if you are still not physically ready for the exercises. But always embrace the hard work and results are inevitable. Prepare yourself for greatness.
Why I bought The System?
There are several reasons why I decided to buy The System created by Bar Brothers:
- Variety: I think you already figured out that I’m all about variety. I was tired of expensive calisthenics programs. Tried to create on myself, but it was not the best, to tell you the truth. And it was the best decision I’ve made to buy The System.
- Created by professionals: This is another reason for me. I don’t want to waste my money on something that is not tried or tested before. So buying a product from professionals is my priority when I decide to spend my money, and it should be yours too.
- Much to learn: Okay, I did not know that before buying the system, but their review was appealing to me. I figured out that they had much to offer (wasn’t wrong).
- Low price: Not that I only love products created by professionals, but I love products that will save me money. Before I even thought about purchasing the system, I wanted to go to a gym and test some new things. The program spans 12 weeks (which is 3 months) and the gym membership is $20 a month. So it was far more viable to buy the system than join a gym.
My favorite workout from The System
I love all the exercises from the system, some of them more and some of them less. Don’t know why, but I always hated doing abs. But with The System it was more than interesting for me. Various exercises, new and harder moves, quality exercises and a lot more.
I especially like the test at the beginning and at the end of the system because that is the time where I could check my new strength and abilities. I love improvements, don’t you?
Other than the tests I like the beginning exercise of the first week. It’s chest and back and it goes something like this:
- Chin ups
- Regular push up
- 90 degree pull up holds
- Reverse chair dips
- Shoulder press ups
I know that it may seem like an easy workout, but that is from the first week. I love it for 2 reasons:
- It gave me awesome pump at the beginning of the first week, which made me feel awesome
- It covers chest/back/shoulder/triceps/biceps.
How much is it and what else is included?
If a gym membership is $20 and you save money by purchasing the system, that means that the system has very affordable price. You will get The System for the price of $47, and it’s not just for 3 months. I bet that you will not be able to finish the program as it is in the first three months. So, for just $47 you can use it for years. And if you get tired of that, there is always a way to spice things up.
In Bar Brothers The System pack, there are two more things included:
- The System Accelerator
- The System Freestyle Moves
These are advanced moves for athletes that are able to do the system as it is.
Also, if you lack of knowledge about nutrition, Bar Brothers offer a nutrition system right after you purchase The System workout. So you can get a nutrition system that is created by nutritionists and used by Lazar and Dusan too.
As an extra you can become an exclusive member of a VIP Bar Brothers group for affordable price, where you will get countless advice, motivational quotes, motivational videos and tutorials.
Pros & Cons
- Fully explained tutorials– This is what you get when you purchase The System. There is nothing better than a video tutorial
- Various exercises– I can’t stress this enough.. Again, variety is the spice of everything. Without changes there is no growth.
- Lazar and Dusan’s expert work– They took all the guess work out. The only thing you should do is be motivated and follow the program very carefully.
- Easy to understand– As mentioned, Lazar and Dusan took all the guess work, so you don’t have to worry about anything. No algorithms, no fractions, just video explanations.
- No equipment needed– This is one of the most valuable things about the program. I finished it with a backyard pull up bar and homemade wooden parallel dips bar. You can do it too.
- 24/7 supportive team– If you have any problem just contact Lazar and Dusan and you will get a reply as quickly as possible. If there is something you find hard to understand they can help you with it right away.
- Money back guarantee– If, by any chance, you are not satisfied with Bar Brothers The System there is always an option to get your money back within 60 days of buying the system.
- Internet connection– If you want to use the system on your tablet or smart phone outdoors, internet connections is required. However, if you want to avoid that, there is always a possibility to write down a few tips and exercises on a piece of paper and take it with you. It’s all about making it happen.
- Motivations and dedication– No results happen overnight. You will actually have to work hard in order to get the maximum results. Be serious and committed.
- Various results– I don’t know if this is a con, but not every person will get the same results. Again, this depends on how serious you are. I’ve added this third, so called con, in order to give you a motivation to strive for more and be curious about your results!!!
Let me show you a bunch of success stories from people around the world who are following bar brothers their official work:
Yup, there are women too:
Bar Brothers The System is widely recommended by me. I’ve had great results with it. Also, you’ve seen many people share the same that I do. Think no more. Even if you are advanced calisthenics athlete this program and its bonus features will benefit you too.
It is highly recommended for beginners who want to advance into highly skilled calisthenics athletes also. It will increase your strength, confidence and improve your physical fitness.
It only makes sense for $47. That is all from me.
See you on the other side.
Can I lose weight using Bar Brothers The System?
- Of course you can. Many people who bought the system actually did it for the purpose to lose weight. It’s all a matter of calories- how much you burn through the workout and how much you consume
Can I build muscle mass using The System?
- This is most frequently asked question, especially from people who are already into calisthenics. The answer is yes, you can build muscle mass. The program is well optimized to give you both intensity and volume. If muscle mass is what you want, try and consume more calories, because building muscle mass means being in a caloric surplus (more calories than your body can burn on a daily basis).
Why The System?
- Read everything above and you will certainly get the answer to that question.
Calisthenics or weight lifting?
- This is also frequently asked question. It depends on the individual here. For me personally, I like both. Both of them have their pros and cons. But what I like the most is that I don’t need equipment and gym membership. That gives me some extra money to spend on my food. Let’s face it, not lots of young men and women out there can afford gym membership and solid nutrition at the same time.
Will I increase my strength using The System?
- A definite yes. The system is structured in such a way so you gradually approach the exercises. If week N.1 is too easy for you.. wait up and see what the system has to offer, trust me. When I started I couldn’t to a single muscle up, now I can easily perform 5 or more (it depends on the day and rest).
Can I improve my physical fitness with poor nutrition habits?
- I’ve seen many people with poor nutrition who squeeze solid results, but it won’t be the same. If you want the full results be sure to improve your nutrition to maximum.
Is there a huge time commitment?
- Workouts are no longer than 1 hour, but you’ll have to train 6 days a week. For some people that is a lot, but instead of wasting time on social media you can find 1 hour of the day to exercise. I thin that makes this calisthenics workout plan worth it.